- West Highland Heifer Kyloe
- Mezzotint with hand coloring on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 19 1/8 x 22 5/8 inches (48.6 x 57.5 cm), Plate: 17 x 20 7/8 inches (43.2 x 53 cm), and Image: 15 1/2 x 20 5/8 inches (39.4 x 52.4 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite lower right: "C"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered lower left: "Painted by Mr. Bewick."; lower right: "Engraved by C.Turner."; lower center: "This Print of the | WEST HIGHLAND HEIFER KYLOE. | Is dedicated with permifsion to the Right Honourable LORD REDESDALE &c. &c. by his much obliged and obedient humble Servant HILTON MIDDLETON. | This extraordinary Animal, 5 years old, bred in the Isle of Skye, fed by Mr.H.Middleton of Newton, near Darlington, in the County of Durham, measures only 3 feet 5 inches in height, and weighs upwards of 105 Stone 8lb. to the Stone. | This breed of Cattle stands unrivalled as the first in the kingdom for quicknefs of grazing and superior quality of beef, and at all markets one third more is given for them unfed (according to their weight) than any other breed whatever. | The Newton Heifer was fed with the view of bringing the breed into more general notice, and is allowed by the first judges to be the fattest ever seen, with the least coarse beef to its weight. | London, Published for the Proprietor, Feby.12, 1823, By Mr.Bewick, No.15 Nafsau Street, Middlesex Hospital."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agronomy | animal art | ewe (animal) | farming | husbandry | obesity | science
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal Prints 1658-1874: A Catalogue, The Paul Mellon Collection , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1981, NE960.3 G7 B75 + Oversize (Mellon Shelf) (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Charles Turner, 1774–1857, British, West Highland Heifer Kyloe, 1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.