Salonica, from my Room Window, 11 Sept. 1848, after Sunset
- Additional Title(s):
- Watercolor, pen and brown ink, over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 6 7/8 × 10 1/8 inches (17.5 × 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen in brown ink, lower left: "Salonica. | from my room window. | 11 Sept. 1848. after sunset."; pen in brown ink, lower right: "all shade [illeg.] tops of the | Bulberry trees | mountains incorrect a [confused?] | 3"; in graphite, lower right: [crossed out in graphite]"2"; verso: in graphite, lower center: "0757"
Signed in graphite, lower right; "L" | Dated '11 Sept. 1848"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Elizabeth S. Tower
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cityscape | minaret | mountains | sky | trees | windows
- Associated Places:
- Greece | Salonica | Thessalonica
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Lear, 1812–1888, British, Salonica, from my Room Window, 11 Sept. 1848, after Sunset, 1848
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.