Garrick Reading the Ode at the Shakespeare Jubilee
- Additional Title(s):
An Ode upon Dedicating a Building and Erecting a Statue to Shakespeare at Stratford-upon-Avon, 1769
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 24 7/16 x 17 13/16 inches (62 x 45.3 cm) and Image: 23 3/8 x 16 7/8 inches (59.3 x 42.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "? ALEXANDER"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "R. E. Pine pinxt | To Mrs: Montagu, this Plate"; lower center, left side: "Can British gratitude delay, | To him the glory of this Isle;"; lower center: "GARRICK. | To him, the first of Poets! – best of Men! | We ne'er shall look upon his like again!"; lower center, right side: "To give the festive day, | The Song, the Statue, the devoted pile! | See Garrick's Ode to Shakespeare."; lower right: "Caroline Watson Sculpt,, | is most respectfully inscribed. | London. Published March 25th, 1784 by John Boydell Engraver in Cheapside."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of David Alexander
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | angel | arch | belts | books | breeches | canes | celebration | characters | cloaks | clouds | columns | costume | crowns | curtains | dagger | drapery | dress | flag | gesture | historical subject | horn (musical instrument) | mask | medallion | men | ode | pedestal | pillars | plume | robes | ruff | sashes | scroll (information artifact) | Shakespeare Jubilee, 1769 | shepherd's crook | staffs | statue | stockings | sword | vines | wineskin | witch | women | wreath
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Stratford-upon-Avon | United Kingdom | Warwickshire
- Associated People:
- Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
Montagu [née Robinson], Elizabeth (1718–1800), author and literary hostess
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Roubiliac, Louis François (1702–1762), sculptor
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Caroline Watson, 1760–1814, British, Garrick Reading the Ode at the Shakespeare Jubilee, 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.