Four Prize Wethers
- Former Title(s):
[Horse racing] Four Prize Wethers. / Bred and Fed by Edward George Barnard Esq'r. M.P. of Gosfield Hall Essex ...
- Lithograph with hand coloring on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 x 22 3/4 inches (45.7 x 57.8 cm) and Image: 14 x 19 3/4 inches (35.6 x 50.2 cm)
Inscribed on back in blue pencil upper left:"(50Xl)"; in graphite lower right: "C"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered lower left: "H.STRAFFORD PINXT."; lower center: "J.GRAF, PRINTER TO HER MAJESTY. | FOUR PRIZE WETHERS. | Bred and Fed, by EDWARD GEORGE BARNARD ESQR. M.P. of Gosfield Hall Essex. | To whom this Print by permifsion is most respectfully Dedicated by his Obedient servants The Publishers. | LONDON, PUBLISHED BY MESSRS. FORES AT THEIR SPORTING & FINE PRINT REPOSITORY, 41, PICCADILLY."; lower right: "ON STONE BY J.W.GILES."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agronomy | animal art | farming | husbandry | science
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal Prints 1658-1874: A Catalogue, The Paul Mellon Collection , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1981, NE960.3 G7 B75 + Oversize (Mellon Shelf) (YCBA)