A Sea Engagement between the English and Algerines
- ca. 1743
- Line engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/16 × 18 inches (31 × 45.7 cm), Plate: 11 1/4 × 14 5/16 inches (28.5 × 36.3 cm), Image: 10 1/4 × 13 15/16 inches (26 × 35.4 cm)
Watermark: "E & P | 1801"
Lettered below image, lower left: "P. Monemie Pinxt. Publish'd according to Act of Parliament"; center:"A Sea Engagement between the English and Algerines | London Printed for Bowles and Carver No. 69 St. Pauls Church Yard, and Robert Wilkinson No. 58 Cornhill."; lower right: "Foudrinier sculp from the Original painting in Vaux-hall Garden."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- battle | marine art | sea | ships | smoke
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Spreading Canvas - Eighteenth - Century British Marine Painting (Yale Center for British Art, 2016-09-09 - 2016-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Jonathan Conlin, The pleasure garden , from Vauxhall to Coney Island, , University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia, 2013, pp. 93-96, fig. 3.6, SB451.36.G7 P54 2013 (YCBA) Also available online (ORBIS) [Project Muse] [YCBA]
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, p. 161-162, cat. 21, ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA) [YCBA]