January 1st: "of all the birds on bush or tree" (Vol. 1, p.30) January 2nd: The Stood in an Avenue (Vol. 1, p. 54)
- Watercolor with pen and black ink on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 5/8 × 4 1/2 inches (9.2 × 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center: "Kenilworth 1822"; in black ink, upper left: "Jan Ist | of all the birds | on the bush or tree | Vol 1 P 30"; in graphite, upper right: "[...]; in black ink, lower left: "Jan 2nd | They stood[...] | in an avenue | Vol 1 P 54"
Signed in ink: "T. Stothard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aristocrats | chairs | château | cloaks | courtiers | drinking | genre subject | Kenilworth, by Walter scott, 1821 | swords | toasting glasses | woods
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, January 1st: "of all the birds on bush or tree" (Vol. 1, p.30) January 2nd: The Stood in an Avenue (Vol. 1, p. 54), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.