September 1st: The High Roads Were Filled (Vol. 2, p. 324) September 2nd: The Princely Castle Appeared (Vol. 2, p. 329)
- Materials & Techniques:
- Gray wash with pen and black ink on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/4 × 4 1/2 inches (12.1 × 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, upper left: "Sept 1st | The high roads were | filled | Vol 2 P 324"; in black ink, lower left: "Sept 2nd | the princely Castle | Appeared | Vol 2- P 329"
Signed in ink: "T. Stothard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barrels | castle | genre subject | horses (animals) | Kenilworth, by Walter scott, 1821 | ramparts | Towers | transportation | wagons | whip
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, September 1st: The High Roads Were Filled (Vol. 2, p. 324) September 2nd: The Princely Castle Appeared (Vol. 2, p. 329), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.