September 1st: The High Roads Were Filled (Vol. 2, p. 324) September 2nd: The Princely Castle Appeared (Vol. 2, p. 329)
- Gray wash with pen and black ink on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/4 × 4 1/2 inches (12.1 × 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in black in, upper left: "Sept 1st | The high roads were | filled | Vol 2 P 324"; in black ink, lower left: "Sept 2nd | the princely Castle | Appeared | Vol 2- P 329"
Signed in ink: "T. Stothard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barrels | castle | genre subject | Kenilworth, by Walter scott, 1821 | ramparts | Towers | transportation | wagons | whip
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, September 1st: The High Roads Were Filled (Vol. 2, p. 324) September 2nd: The Princely Castle Appeared (Vol. 2, p. 329), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.