- Thomas Girtin
- Mezzotint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/8 x 10 1/4 inches (38.4 x 26 cm), Plate: 15 x 10 inches (38.1 x 25.4 cm), and Image: 12 1/8 x 10 inches (30.8 x 25.4 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1827
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Painted by John Opie Esqr. RA."; recto, lower right: "Engraved by S.W. Reynolds."; recto, center: "Portrait of the late extraordinary Artist, | THOMAS GIRTIN, | Natus Feb. 18. 1775 Obiit Nov. 9.1802. | To Sir George Beaumont Bart.| One of his earliest Patrons This Print is with Permission respectfully Dedicated by his very obliged & grateful Servt. JOHN GIRTIN. | J. Girtin in the recent fire in Broad Strt. having lost all his property, excepting some prints &c which with this portrait of his late Brother, he respectfully offers to a liberal Public.", and recto, center, below: "London: Pubd. May 16 1817, by J. Girtin, Engraver, Printer & No. 25 Old Compton Street, 3 doors from Princes Street, Soho." In lettering, within reproduced coat of arms, recto, center: "Erectus non elatus"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | charcoal | charcoal stick | coat | cravat | portrait | stock (neckcloth)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel William Reynolds, 1773–1835, British, Thomas Girtin, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.