Illustration to Tennyson's "The Gardener's Daughter:" Mount Lebanon, Syria - `A Cedar spread his dark green layers of shade'
- Pen and black ink, gray ink, and gray wash on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 7/8 x 5 7/8 inches (9.8 x 14.9 cm), Mount: 5 3/8 x 8 inches (13.7 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, on mount, upper left: "82"; lower left: "A Cedar spread his dark green layers of shade. | (The Gardener's daughter) Mount Lebanon. | Syria."; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "1880"; upper right: "27"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cedar | landscape | sky | tree
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Lear, 1812–1888, British, Illustration to Tennyson's "The Gardener's Daughter:" Mount Lebanon, Syria - `A Cedar spread his dark green layers of shade', undated