Illustration to Tennyson's "You Ask Me Why": Areka Palms, Ratanapooru, Ceylon - `I will see before I die The Palms and Temples of the South'
- Pen and black ink, gray ink, and gray wash on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 13/16 x 5 13/16 inches (9.7 x 14.8 cm) and Mount: 6 3/8 x 8 inches (16.2 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, on sheet, lower left: "Ratnapoora Ceylon."; in black ink, lower right: "3"; inscribed with pen in black ink on mount, upper left: "65"; inscribed with pen in black ink, on mount, lower left: "I will see before I die | The Palms and Temples of the South. | ("You ask me why etc, etc)"; with pen in black ink, lower right: " Areka Palms. | Ratnapoora. | Ceylon"; Verso: in graphite, lower center: "8626A | D&L"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figures | grass | landscape | palm trees | river | riverbank | rocks (landforms) | sky | water
- Associated Places:
- Ceylon | Sri Lanka
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Lear, 1812–1888, British, Illustration to Tennyson's "You Ask Me Why": Areka Palms, Ratanapooru, Ceylon - `I will see before I die The Palms and Temples of the South', undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.