- Vauxhall Stairs, from Millbank, July 5, 1797
- Watercolor, with pen, in brown ink, black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 9 9/16 × 11 inches (24.3 × 27.9 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 8 3/8 × 9 13/16 inches (21.3 × 24.9 cm), and Sheet: 7 5/16 × 8 3/4 inches (18.6 × 22.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen with brown ink, lower right: "F. Towne. | delt. 1797 No 7"; inscribed in pen with black ink, verso, upper left: "Vauxhall Stairs taken from Millbank | by | Francis Towne July 5th 1797 | No 114 | New Bond Street"; inscribed in pen with brown ink, verso, left center: "15755"; inscribed in graphite, right center: "Shew full 1/8 outside | line & culop[?] my in | back to shew my [title.?]"
Signed and dated in pen with brown ink, lower right: "F. Towne. | delt. 1797 No 7"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | fishing | landscape | men | river | shore (landform) | town | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Towne, 1740–1816, British, Vauxhall Stairs, from Millbank, July 5, 1797, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.