An Arch at Holy Island, Northumberland
- Watercolor and graphite on thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches (29.2 x 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen with brown ink, lower left: "J. Varley 1809."; inscribed in pen, with brown ink, verso, lower left: "No 25 J. Varley Holy Island | inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "1A | 23592"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink lower left: "J. Varley 1809."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | children | clouds | dogs (animals) | genre subject | islands | masonry | stones | women | writing (processes)
- Associated Places:
- England | Holy Island | Northumberland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, An Arch at Holy Island, Northumberland, 1809
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.