An Illustration of C.J. Apperley ('Nimrod'), "The Life of a Sportsman": 'A Night Scene with Sir Thomas Mostyn'
- Watercolor over etched outline, with gouache on medium. slightly textured, blued white, wove paper
- Sheet: 4 13/16 × 7 3/8 inches (12.2 × 18.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper center: "10 | 28"; inscribed in graphite, verso: lower left: "A Night Scene with Sir Thomas Mostyn | p. 226 Life of a Sportsman - Apperly | HRH. 10128."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- fence | forest | fox (animal) | fox hunting | hill | horses (animals) | hunt | hunters | hunting | landscape | lantern | literary theme | men | night | shovel | sporting art | sportsmen | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, An Illustration of C.J. Apperley ('Nimrod'), "The Life of a Sportsman": 'A Night Scene with Sir Thomas Mostyn', 1842
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.