IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Illustration for R.S. Surtees', "The Analysis of the Hunting Field": The Check: 'What the Devil Do You Do Here..', undated
Illustration for R.S. Surtees', "The Analysis of the Hunting Field": The Check: 'What the Devil Do You Do Here..'
- Watercolor over etched outline, with gouache, and pen in black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 11/16 × 7 3/4 inches (11.9 × 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "HRH. 10-29."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dogs (animals) | fences | fields | hills | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | hounds (dogs) | hunt | hunters | hunting | landscape | literary theme | men | sporting art | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal Prints 1658-1874: A Catalogue, The Paul Mellon Collection , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1981, NE960.3 G7 B75 + Oversize (Mellon Shelf) (YCBA) [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.