- Illustration to R.S. Surtees', "Jorrocks's Jaunts and Jollities": Title page
- Graphite and watercolor on medium, moderately textured, blued white, wove paper
- Sheet: 8 3/8 × 5 11/16 inches (21.3 × 14.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center: "THE | JAUNTS AND JOLLITIES | OF THAT | RENOWNED SPORTING CITIZEN"; inscribed in graphite, center: "Mr. JOHN JORROCKS | of St. BOTOLPH LANE AND GREAT CORAM STREET"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "HIGHLY ILLUSTRATED"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "1000.00 M" | L55.55"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "HRH. 10-30A."
Watermark: J Whatman | 18[?]
Signed in graphite, lower left: "H. Aken"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- celebration | drinking | genre subject | illustration | literary theme | men | table | text | title page | toasting glasses
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Illustration to R.S. Surtees', "Jorrocks's Jaunts and Jollities": Title page, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.