"Sporting Discoveries, or the Miseries of Driving:" ... Up and Down, or the Endeavor to Discover Which Way Your Horse is Inclined to Come Down, Backwards or Forwards
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor, pen and brown ink, black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 3/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.7 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right, "26 | HRH 12 - 16A"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- carriage | driver | driving | falling | fence | genre subject | hat | horse (animal) | man | rearing (horse) | reins | trees | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, "Sporting Discoveries, or the Miseries of Driving:" ... Up and Down, or the Endeavor to Discover Which Way Your Horse is Inclined to Come Down, Backwards or Forwards, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.