A Young Man with a Horse, with Studies of Hounds and Dead Hare
- Additional Title(s):
A Preparatory Study for the Portrait of Thomas Norton Exhibited at The Royal Academy in 1785
- ca. 1785
- Watercolor, with pen, in brown ink, with graphite, and gouache on medium, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 8 1/16 inches (26 × 20.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "D2774/ Sawrey Gilpin RA 17[?] 1807" | c 1795 :GB; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "D. 2774"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dogs (animals) | figure study | hare | horse (animal) | hounds (dogs) | man | sporting art | youth
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Hoppner, 1758–1810, British, A Young Man with a Horse, with Studies of Hounds and Dead Hare, ca. 1785
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.