"The Capriole, When He Rises Before & at the Same Time Thro's Out His Hind Legs & Quarters Upon a Strait Line:" Engraved as Plate 25 in "Twenty Five Actions of the Manage Horse..."
- Pen and black ink, gray ink, and gray wash on medium, moderately textured, blued white, laid paper
- Sheet: 6 1/8 × 6 inches (15.6 × 15.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso, in pen with gray ink, center: "Capriole, when he rises before and at the same Tim[?] | [?]hrow's out his hind legs and quarters upon a stra[?]"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "D2042"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | galloping | genre subject | horse (animal) | horseback riders | horseback riding | man | sporting art | tricorn hats
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Vanderbank, 1694–1739, British, "The Capriole, When He Rises Before & at the Same Time Thro's Out His Hind Legs & Quarters Upon a Strait Line:" Engraved as Plate 25 in "Twenty Five Actions of the Manage Horse...", 1729
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.