"The Capriole, When He Rises Before & at the Same Time Thro's Out His Hind Legs & Quarters Upon a Strait Line:" Engraved as Plate 25 in "Twenty Five Actions of the Manage Horse..."
- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen and black ink, gray ink, and gray wash on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 1/8 × 6 inches (15.6 × 15.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso, in pen with gray ink, center: "Capriole, when he rises before and at the same Tim[?] | [?]hrow's out his hind legs and quarters upon a stra[?]"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "D2042"
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | galloping | genre subject | horse (animal) | horseback riders | horseback riding | man | sporting art | tricorn hats
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Vanderbank, 1694–1739, British, "The Capriole, When He Rises Before & at the Same Time Thro's Out His Hind Legs & Quarters Upon a Strait Line:" Engraved as Plate 25 in "Twenty Five Actions of the Manage Horse...", 1729