The Sporting Parson: "He Sheweth Them the Way They Should Go"
- Black chalk, watercolor and gouache on moderately thick, moderately textured, gray-brown wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 15 1/16 inches (27.3 × 38.3 cm)
Inscribed in black chalk, lower left: "4"; inscribed in black chalk, lower left: "He showeth the way they shd. go."; inscribed in blackchalk, verso, upper left: "4 HE sheweth the way they should go"
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Phiz."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | dogs (animals) | fence | field | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | hounds (dogs) | hunt | hunters | hunting | jumping | men | parson | sporting art
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hablot Knight Browne, 1815–1882, British, The Sporting Parson: "He Sheweth Them the Way They Should Go", undated