A Mare: Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery
- Black chalk and white chalk on medium, smooth, brown wove paper
- Sheet: 9 5/8 x 12 1/2 inches (24.4 x 31.8 cm)
Inscribed on verso in black ink,upper center: "Study of a mare in the | picture now at the Tate Gallery | of a stallion and mare_ T.E.L. 1940"
Collector's mark:T.E. Lowinsky collector's stamp "TEL"
Signed in brown ink, lower left: "JWD. RA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | mare | sporting art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, A Mare: Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.