The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 1 - "Ah me! what perils doth that Youth encounter, who dares within the Fellow's Bog to enter."
- Part Of:
- Etching with aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 9 9/16 × 13 7/8 inches (24.3 × 35.3 cm) and Image: 8 3/4 × 13 7/8 inches (22.3 × 35.3 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "The Rake's-Progress at the University. __No.1__"; lower center, bracketed: " 'Ah me! what perils doth that Youth encounter, | Who dares within the Fellow's Bog to enter.'__"; lower right: "Publishd October 22d - 1806 - by Hh. Humphrey, | No.27 St James's Street London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- academic robes | arcade | arches | bog | breeches | caricature | catching | cravats | doorway | fear | hallways | humor | men | mortar boards | parody | satire | shadows | sneaking | spying | students | tassels | university | watching | youth
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 1 - "Ah me! what perils doth that Youth encounter, who dares within the Fellow's Bog to enter.", 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.