A Cock-fight Watched by Four Men in an Out-House:The Death, Engraved as Plate 40 in "The National Sports of Great Britain"
- Graphite and watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper, mounted on, thick, oderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Mount: 9 11/16 × 13 11/16 inches (24.6 × 34.8 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 9 5/8 × 13 5/8 inches (24.4 × 34.6 cm), and Sheet: 9 7/16 × 13 3/8 inches (24 × 34 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Five to one [?]"'; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "29"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center right: "22 /20 pair"
Signed in graphite, lower left: "H. Alken"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cock-fight | death | men | outhouse | roosters | sporting art
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, A Cock-fight Watched by Four Men in an Out-House:The Death, Engraved as Plate 40 in "The National Sports of Great Britain", 1821