The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 4 - "Expulsion waits that Son of Alma Mater who dares to shew his face in Boot or Gaiter"
- Part Of:
- Etching with aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 9 3/4 x 13 7/8 inches (24.7 x 35.3 cm) and Image: 8 3/4 x 13 11/16 inches (22.3 x 34.8 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "The Rake's-Progress at the University. __ __No.4."; lower center, bracketed: "Expulsion waits that Son of Alma Mater | Who dares to shew his face in Boot or Gaiter."; lower right: "Published October 22d 1806 | by H Humphrey No 27 | St James's Street London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angry | boots | breeches | cane | caricature | cravats | gaiters | genre subject | humor | men | mortar boards | parody | quadrangle | satire | students | tassels | The Rake's Progress at the University (1806) | university | youth
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 4 - "Expulsion waits that Son of Alma Mater who dares to shew his face in Boot or Gaiter", 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.