IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 4 - "Expulsion waits that Son of Alma Mater who dares to shew his face in Boot or Gaiter", 1806
The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 4 - "Expulsion waits that Son of Alma Mater who dares to shew his face in Boot or Gaiter"
- Part Of:
- Etching with aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 9 3/4 × 13 7/8 inches (24.7 × 35.3 cm), Image: 8 3/4 × 13 11/16 inches (22.3 × 34.8 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "The Rake's-Progress at the University. __ __No.4."; lower center, bracketed: "Expulsion waits that Son of Alma Mater | Who dares to shew his face in Boot or Gaiter."; lower right: "Published October 22d 1806 | by H Humphrey No 27 | St James's Street London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- academic robes | angry | boots | breeches | cane | caricature | cravats | gaiters | genre subject | gesturing | humor | men | mortar boards | parody | pointing | quadrangle | satire | students | tassels | The Rake's Progress at the University (1806) | university | youth
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.