The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 5 - "Convened for wearing Gaiters - sad offence! Expelled - nor e'en permitted a defence."
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching with aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 9 5/8 × 14 1/16 inches (24.5 × 35.7 cm), Image: 8 7/8 × 13 7/8 inches (22.5 × 35.3 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "The Rake's-Progress at the University. ___ No.5."; lower center, bracketed: "Convened for wearing Gaiters _ sad offence! | Expelled __ nor e'en permitted a defence."; lower right: "Publishd October 22d 1806 by H.Humphrey | 27 St James's Street London~~"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- academic robes | angry | boots | breeches | cane | caricature | chairs | cravats | gaiters | gaze | genre subject | gesturing | humor | meeting | men | mortar boards | parody | pointing | satire | students | tassels | The Rake's Progress at the University (1806) | university | wigs | youth
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, The Rake's-Progress at the University - No. 5 - "Convened for wearing Gaiters - sad offence! Expelled - nor e'en permitted a defence.", 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.