IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Steeplechasing: Four Riders Taking a Ditch and an Oxer, undated
Steeplechasing: Four Riders Taking a Ditch and an Oxer
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 × 16 3/16 inches (25.2 × 41.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "10 | 20/2"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "HRH. 10 - 20."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ditch | falling | fence | fields | galloping | hedge | horse racing | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | jockeys | jumping | landscape | men | race (event) | sporting art | whips (animal equipment)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Thrill of the 'Chace: Steeplechasing in Art (National Sporting Library and Museum, 2020-09-09 - 2021-03-22) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Thrill of the 'chace : steeplechase in art, National Sporting Library and Museum, Middleburg : VA, p. 22-23, SF359 .P44 2020 (YCBA) [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.