IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Steeplechasing: Three Riders Taking a Brook, ca. 1825
Steeplechasing: Three Riders Taking a Brook
- ca. 1825
- Graphite and watercolor on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 3/8 inches (26 × 36.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "10 | 24/1"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "HRH 10 - 24."
Verso, lower left: Two different, Collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- brook | horse racing | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | jockeys | jumping | landscape | men | race (event) | spectators | sporting art | tree | whips (animal equipment)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Constable to Delacroix : British Art and the French Romantics 1820-1840 (Tate Britain, 2003-02-06 - 2003-05-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Patrick Noon, Crossing the Channel : British and French painting in the age of romanticism, Tate Publishing, London, p. 264, no. 179, ND467.5.R6 N66 2003 Oversize (YCBA) [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.