IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Steeplechasing: The Field Jumping Into and Out of a Lane, undated
Steeplechasing: The Field Jumping Into and Out of a Lane
- Graphite and watercolor on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 3/8 inches (26 × 36.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "289"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "[19?] | 1o | 12/12"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "c | 53"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "N 18" | A Steeplechase - A Nasty Obstacle"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "9"
Verso, lower left: Collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- fence | flag | horse racing | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | jockeys | jumping | lane (road) | men | race (event) | road | sporting art
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.