Steeplechasing: The Field Jumping Into and Out of a Lane
- Graphite and watercolor on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 3/8 inches (26 × 36.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "289"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "[19?] | 1o | 12/12"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "c | 53"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "N 18" | A Steeplechase - A Nasty Obstacle"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "9"
Verso, lower left: Collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- fence | flag | horse racing | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | jockeys | jumping | lane (road) | men | race (event) | road | sporting art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Steeplechasing: The Field Jumping Into and Out of a Lane, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.