"Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" 'Faceing a Brook Verifying the Old Adage, Look Before You Leap'
- Watercolor, with pen, in brown ink, black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, blued white, wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/16 × 10 7/8 inches (20.5 × 27.6 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 7 15/16 × 10 11/16 inches (20.2 × 27.1 cm), and Image: 7 1/2 × 10 11/16 inches (19.1 × 27.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, lower center: "Faceing a Brook verifying the old Adage. Look before you Leap"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "23"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "HRH 12 - 4A."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- brook | falling | fields | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | hunt | hunters | hunting | jumping | leaping | men | sporting art | water
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, "Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" 'Faceing a Brook Verifying the Old Adage, Look Before You Leap', undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.