Foxhunting at Melton Mowbray, 1835: Taking the Gate at the Hinge Post While Snob Walks Thro'
- ca. 1835
- Watercolor, pen and brown ink, graphite, gum arabic, and gouache on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 3/8 inches (26 × 36.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "HRH 17-28A"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "Edward Hull (fl.1820-1840) | the Melton Hunt. | The original drawing, lithographed by the artist | as No. 5. Melton Mowbray, entitled, "Taking the | Gate at the Hinge Post While Snob Walks thro. | "Warned by the [knowing?] ones to keep | a loof from every [uesless?] leap. | Published Nov. 1835 by Colnaghi."; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "E. Hull"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "17.508"
Cllector's mark, lower left
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- fox hunting | gate | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | hunt | hunters | hunting | jumping | landscape | sporting art | trees
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Leicestershire | Melton Mowbray | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Robert Colls, This sporting life : sport and liberty in England, 1760-1960, Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K., 2020, p. 372, GV706.35 .C65 2020 (LC) YCBA [ORBIS]