IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Sawrey Gilpin, 1733–1807, British, Foxhunting: The Start, With Rider in Foreground Mounting on Off-Side, undated
Foxhunting: The Start, With Rider in Foreground Mounting on Off-Side
- Graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 7/8 × 18 7/8 inches (32.7 × 47.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "S Gilpin."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "S Gilpin"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "D 1023"
Watermark: "t | H S | IVILLEDARY"; collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Signed, in graphite, lower right: "S Gilpin"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dogs (animals) | fox hunting | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | hounds (dogs) | hunt | hunters | hunting | men | sporting art
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.