Awful Protection Against Midges
- Pen and brown ink on medium, smooth, laid paper
- Sheet: 6 1/2 x 4 3/8 inches (16.5 x 11.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink lower left: "Awful protection against midges".
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink lower right in monogram: "JEM | 1853"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- children | genre subject | sketching | smoking (activity)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Timothy J. Barringer, Unto this last : two hundred years of John Ruskin, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT, p. 165, cat. 24, NJ18.R895 .B37 2019 (LC) Oversize (YCBA)
Charlotte Gould, British art and the environment : changes, challenges, and responses since the Industrial Revolution, New York, p. 30, fig. 1.2, N8217.E28 B75 2022 (YCBA)