IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, A New Way to Drive Over an Old Road; Now Alas! Sadly out of Order, 1847
A New Way to Drive Over an Old Road; Now Alas! Sadly out of Order
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/16 x 17 5/16 inches (30.7 x 44 cm), Image: 9 9/16 x 12 15/16 inches (24.3 x 32.8 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 878"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "Published by T McLean 26 Haymarket Feby 11th 1847"; lower center inside image: "IRISH IMPRUDENCE | ENGLISH PREJUDICE"; lower center under image: "A NEW WAY TO DRIVE OVER AN OLD ROAD; | NOW ALAS! SADLY OUT OF ORDER."; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co St Martin's Lane."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beards | carriage | driving | genre subject | horse (animal) | men | parody | political | politicians | reins | road | rules | satire | sitting | talking | top hats | wheels | whip
- Associated People:
- Bentinck, Lord George (1802-1848), politician/statesman, athlete/sportsman
Inglis, Sir Robert Harry, 2nd Baronet (1786 - 1855), politician/statesman
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.