The Centaur Nessus Carrying off Deianira
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 17 1/2 x 12 3/16 inches (44.4 x 30.9 cm), Image: 11 5/16 x 9 13/16 inches (28.7 x 25 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 883"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "London, Published March 13, 1847, by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "THE CENTAUR NESSUS CARRYING OFF DEIANIRA. | Suggested by the well known Picture by Gyudo."; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- archer | centaur | harp | Hercules shoots Nessus, the centaur, who attempts to carry off Deianira | lake | legislation | monster | mythology | nymph | political | politicians | railways | religious and mythological subject | satire | sketches | stealing
- Associated People:
- Bentinck, Lord George (1802–1848), politician/statesman, athlete/sportsman
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792–1878), politician/statesman
Nessus, the centaur
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The Centaur Nessus Carrying off Deianira, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.