The Seven Bold Swabians - Who Sallied forth with One Spear, Vide Fairy Ring
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/16 x 17 1/2 inches (31 x 44.5 cm), Image: 9 1/16 x 13 1/4 inches (23 x 33.7 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 886"; lower left inside: "HB"; lower left below: "Published May 14th 1847, by T McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "THE SEVEN BOLD SWABIANS: -- WHO SALLIED FORTH WITH ONE SPEAR. | Vide Fairy Ring. Murray. | 'It's a terrible Wild Beast,' says one | 'It's a Dragon,' says another, | 'If we run,' says a third, | the Monster may pursue us.' | 'Forward' says a fourth, & cried, 'St George & Victory'"; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coats | cravats | dragon | education | genre subject | government | grass | grassland | Grimm's The Fairy Ring, John [iii] Murray (1807-1892), edition 1846 | hare | hunting | learning | men | parody | political | politicians | rabbit | satire | satirical | sketches | spear | sporting art | surprise | top hats | volunteer
- Associated People:
- Duncombe, Thomas Slingsby (1796-1861), MP, radical politician
Bright, John (1811-1889), politician, reformer, MP for Durham and Birmingham
Gisborne, Thomas (fl.1839), politician, MP
Hindley, Charles (1796-1857), MP for Ashton-under-Lyne 1835-1857
Sibthorp, Col. Charles de Laet Waldo (1783-1855), MP for Lincoln
Napier, Sir Charles John (1786-1860), Scottish naval officer and politician
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The Seven Bold Swabians - Who Sallied forth with One Spear, Vide Fairy Ring, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.