- The Seven Bold Swabians - Who Sallied forth with One Spear, Vide Fairy Ring
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/16 x 17 1/2 inches (31 x 44.5 cm) and Image: 9 1/16 x 13 1/4 inches (23 x 33.7 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 886"; lower left inside: "HB"; lower left below: "Published May 14th 1847, by T McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "THE SEVEN BOLD SWABIANS: -- WHO SALLIED FORTH WITH ONE SPEAR. | Vide Fairy Ring. Murray. | 'It's a terrible Wild Beast,' says one | 'It's a Dragon,' says another, | 'If we run,' says a third, | the Monster may pursue us.' | 'Forward' says a fourth, & cried, 'St George & Victory'"; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coats | cravats | dragon | education | genre subject | government | grass | grassland | Grimm's The Fairy Ring, John [iii] Murray (1807-1892), edition 1846 | hare | hunting | learning | men | parody | political | politicians | rabbit | satire | satirical | sketches | spear | sporting art | surprise | top hats | volunteer
- Associated People:
- Sibthorp, Col. Charles de Laet Waldo (1783-1855), MP for Lincoln
Napier, Sir Charles John (1786-1860), Scottish naval officer and politician
Duncombe, Thomas Slingsby (1796-1861), MP, radical politician
Bright, John (1811-1889), politician, reformer, MP for Durham and Birmingham
Gisborne, Thomas (fl.1839), politician, MP
Hindley, Charles (1796-1857), MP for Ashton-under-Lyne 1835-1857
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The Seven Bold Swabians - Who Sallied forth with One Spear, Vide Fairy Ring, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.