The Mask of Comus. As Now Being Performed at the Theatre Royal, Madrid, with Amazing Success
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/16 x 17 5/8 inches (30.7 x 44.7 cm) and Image: 10 1/8 x 13 3/8 inches (25.7 x 34 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 892"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "Publushed Novr 19th 1847 by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "THE MASK (underlined) OF COMUS. | As now being performed at the Theatre Royal, Madrid, | with amazing success."; lower right: "Printed at 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | bears | birds | costume | court | crowns | cups | France | frogs (animals) | goats | gods | hats | historical subject | kings | lions | masks | men | monkeys | musicians | mythology | parody | political | politics | queens | satire | satirical | sketches | Spain | staffs | stairs | swords | theater | throne | trees | uniforms | violins | wolves | women
- Associated People:
- Louis Philippe (1773 - 1850), King of France
Temple, Henry, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784 - 1865), politician/statesman
General Narváez (mid 19th century), military/naval
d'Orléans, Antoine, Duc de Montpensier (1824-1890), claimant to Spanish throne
Duchesse de Montpensier (mid 19th century), wife of Antoine Marie Philippe Louis
Maria Christina of Sicily, (1806-1878), Queen and Regent of Spain
Isabella II (1830-1904), Queen of Spain
Muñoz, Ferdinand, Duque de Riansares (1808 - 1873), sergeant, politician
Francis, Duke of Cádiz (1822-1902), Titular King of Spain, husband and cousin of Isabella II of Spain
Bulwer, Sir Henry, later Baron Dalling and Bulwer (1801-1872), politician and diplomat
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The Mask of Comus. As Now Being Performed at the Theatre Royal, Madrid, with Amazing Success, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.