- A Scene From the Farce of "The Critic," a Little Altered.
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 x 18 1/16 inches (30.5 x 45.8 cm) and Image: 9 3/4 x 13 11/16 inches (24.8 x 34.8 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 900"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "Published May 12, 1848 by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "A SCENE FROM THE FARCE OF 'THE CRITIC'. | A little altered."; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | audience | beefeater | capes | costume | critics | fancy dress | feathers | gesturing | historical subject | literary theme | parody | play | plays by Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan (1751-1816), playwright, poet, owner of the London Theatre Royal | political | politicians | posing | ruffs | satire | satirical | sketches | stage | talking | The Critic: or, a Tragedy Rehearsed, play by Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan (1779) | theater | top hats
- Associated People:
- Disraeli, Benjamin, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield (1804-1881), politician/statesman, author/poet
Sir Chrisopher Hatton, character in 'The Critic'
Puff, character in 'The Critic'
John Bull, fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism
Wellesley, Arthur, first duke of Wellington (1769–1852), army officer and prime minister
Egerton, Francis, 1st Earl of Ellesmere (1800-1857), politician and poet, Lord Lieut. co. Lancashire
Dangle, character in 'The Critic'
Sneer, character in 'The Critic'
Raleigh, Sir Walter (1554-1618), courtier, explorer, and author
Cobden, Richard (1804-1865), MP, campaigner and free trader
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, A Scene From the Farce of "The Critic," a Little Altered, 1848
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.