The Sibyl Presenting the Mysterious Writings to Tarquin, Who "With Gay Audacity" Rejects the Proferred Treasure
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 17 1/16 inches (29.8 x 43.4 cm), Image: 10 1/4 x 13 7/8 inches (26 x 35.2 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 912"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "London Published July 2nd 1849, by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "THE SIBYL PRESENTING THE MYSTERIOYS WRITINGS TO TARQUIN, WHO _'WITH GAY AUDACITY'_ REJECTS THE PROFERRED TREASURE."; lower right: "Printed at 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- axes | gesturing | historical subject | men | political | politicians | posing | religious and mythological subject | satire | satirical | scrolls | sibyl | sketches | swords | talking | throne | togas | treasure trove
- Associated People:
- Mr. Hawes (fl. 1847–1849), politician
Hobhouse, John Cam, 1st Baron Broughton (1786 - 1869), politician/statesman
Lucius Tarquinius Superbus (535 – 496 BC), 7th King of Rome
Bright, John (1811–1889), politician, reformer, MP for Durham and Birmingham
Disraeli, Benjamin, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield (1804–1881), politician/statesman, author/poet
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792–1878), politician/statesman
Cobden, Richard (1804–1865), MP, campaigner and free trader
Wood, Sir Charles, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800 - 1885), politician/statesman
Temple, Henry, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784 - 1865), politician/statesman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The Sibyl Presenting the Mysterious Writings to Tarquin, Who "With Gay Audacity" Rejects the Proferred Treasure, 1849
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.