IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Breaking Cover, Desperate Struggle for the Lead, Consequences of Leaping Short, 1849
Breaking Cover, Desperate Struggle for the Lead, Consequences of Leaping Short
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 17 5/16 inches (29.8 x 44 cm), Image: 9 3/4 x 13 11/16 inches (24.7 x 34.7 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 914"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "London, Published July 16, 1849, by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "BREAKING COVER, DESPERATE STRUGGLE FOR THE LEAD, CONSEQUENCES OF LEAPING SHORT."; lower right: "Printed at 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridles | chasing | ditch | dogs (animals) | falling | galloping | genre subject | horses (animals) | hunting | jumping | leaping | leisure | parody | political | politicians | puddle | riding | riding crop | riding habit | saddles | satire | satirical | sketches | sporting art | swimming | top hat
- Associated People:
- Grey, Henry George, 3rd Earl Grey (1802 - 1894), Secretary of State for the Colonies, Lord Lieutenant
Smith-Stanley, Edward Geoffrey,14th Earl of Derby (1799 - 1869), Chief Secretary for Ireland, Secretary of State for War and the Colonies
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.