New Illustration of Hudibras
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- 11 3/4 x 17 1/4 inches (29.8 x 43.8 cm) and 9 11/16 x 13 5/16 inches (24.6 x 33.8 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 917"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "London, Published March 19, 1851, by T McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "NEW ILLUSTRATION OF | HUDIBRAS. | (after Hogarth.) | Sir Hudibras attended by his squire Ralph, setting out on his famous crusade against mummeries & [...]"; lower right: "Printed at 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boots | bowing | capes | crash | crusades | falling | genre subject | hats | horses (animals) | Hudibras (poem, 1663) by Samuel Butler (1613-1680) | humor | illustration | letter (correspondence) | men | obese | parody | peasants | political | politicians | riding | satire | satirical | sketches | squires | swords | table | woman
- Associated People:
- Sir Hudibras (character, Hudibras, 1663)
Ralpho, squire to Sir Hudibras (character in Hudibras, 1663)
John Bull, fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, New Illustration of Hudibras, 1851
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.