- Line engraving, stipple engraving, and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 x 6 9/16 inches (25.3 x 16.7 cm), Plate: 8 7/16 x 5 1/16 inches (21.4 x 12.8 cm), Image: 2 11/16 x 2 11/16 inches (6.8 x 6.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "v"; on back, lower right: "y | 25A"
Lettered within image, in frame, with sitter's biography in Latin; lower center: "NICHOLAS HILLIARD, | A Fac simile of the very curious Miniature | by Himself, described on page 289, & still | remaining at Penshurst. | Copied (with permission of Sir John Sidney Bart.) by | G. P. Harding and Engraved by W. C. Edwards. | LONDON, | Published by John Major, 50, Fleet Street, Feby. 15th. 1826."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | bust | costume | doublet | hat | illustration | jerkin | jewels | man | miniature (painting) | mustache | portrait | reticella | roundel (architectural element) | ruff | self-portrait | tondo
- Associated People:
- Hilliard, Nicholas (ca. 1547–1619), miniature painter
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Camden Edwards, 1777–1855, British, Nicholas Hilliard, 1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.