- Etching on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 7/16 x 7 7/8 inches (26.5 x 20 cm), Plate: 6 7/8 x 5 1/4 inches (17.4 x 13.3 cm), and Image: 6 x 4 3/4 inches (15.3 x 12.1 cm)
Lettered, upper right: "P. 453."; center right on palette: "The | Sine of Beauty"; lower left under image: "Seipse pinxit."; lower center: "WILLIAM HOGARTH."; lower right under image: "T. Chambars Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | books | coat | collar | dog (animal) | dowel | drapery | fur cap | gaze | man | oval | paint | paint brushes | palette | portrait | posing | shelf | vest
- Associated People:
- Hogarth, William (1697–1764), painter and engraver
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Chambars, ca. 1724–1789, British, William Hogarth, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.