View of the City with the Louvre &c. taken from Pont Marie
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 9 7/8 x 21 1/2 inches (25.1 x 54.6 cm), and Image: 7 1/2 x 18 7/16 inches (19.1 x 46.8 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin."; lower right: "Aquatinted by F. C. Lewis."; lower left: "View of the City with the Louvre &c | taken from PONT MARIE"; lower right: "Vue de la Cite et du Louvre &c. | prise du PONT MARIE"; lower right: "SUBSCRN. PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pubd Decr. 16. 1802, by T. & J. GIRTIN, No.1 LIttle Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO"; and lower right: "3"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barges (flat-bottomed watercraft) | boats | carts | cityscape | horses (animals) | people | river | riverbanks
- Associated Places:
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris | Europe | France | Musée du Louvre | Paris | Pont Marie | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of the City with the Louvre &c. taken from Pont Marie, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.