View of the City with the Louvre &c. taken from Pont Marie
- Materials & Techniques:
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 9 7/8 x 21 1/2 inches (25.1 x 54.6 cm), Image: 7 1/2 x 18 7/16 inches (19.1 x 46.8 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin."; lower right: "Aquatinted by F. C. Lewis."; lower left: "View of the City with the Louvre &c | taken from PONT MARIE"; lower right: "Vue de la Cite et du Louvre &c. | prise du PONT MARIE"; lower right: "SUBSCRN. PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pubd Decr. 16. 1802, by T. & J. GIRTIN, No.1 LIttle Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO"; and lower right: "3"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barges (flat-bottomed watercraft) | boats | carts | cityscape | horses (animals) | people | river | riverbanks
- Associated Places:
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris | Europe | France | Musée du Louvre | Paris | Pont Marie | Seine | Île-de-France
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of the City with the Louvre &c. taken from Pont Marie, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.