View of Pont St. Michel, taken from Pont Neuf
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 x 17 11/16 inches (25.2 x 44.9 cm), and Image: 7 x 14 11/16 inches (17.8 x 37.3 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Giritn."; lower right: "Aquatinted by J.B. Harraden"; lower left: "View of Pont St. Michel, | taken from PONT NEUF"; lower right: "Vue du Pont St. Michel, | prise du PONT NEUF"; lower left: "SUBSCR PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pub Jany 1 1803, by JOHN GIRTIN, No.1, Little Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO."; and lower right: "4"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | barges (flat-bottomed watercraft) | boats | buildings | carts | cityscape | horse (animal) | houseboats | people | stairs | trees | water | wheelbarrow
- Associated Places:
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris | Europe | France | Paris | Pont Neuf | Pont Saint Michel | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of Pont St. Michel, taken from Pont Neuf, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.