- A General View of Paris taken from Chaillot
- Soft-ground etching and aquatint printed in brown ink on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 1/8 inches (46.4 x 66.4 cm), Plate: 10 3/4 x 25 3/4 inches (27.3 x 65.4 cm), and Image: 8 x 22 7/8 inches (20.3 x 58.1 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin"; lower right: "Aquatinted by W. Pickett."; lower left: "A General View of Paris, | taken from CHAILLOT."; lower right: "Vue Generale de Paris, | prise de CHAILLOT."; lower left: "SUBSCRN PRINT"; lower center: "Pub. Feby. 4, 1803, by JNO. GIRTIN, No. 1, Little Newport Street, LONDON."; and lower right: "5"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cityscape | domes | house | park (grounds) | people | river | roofs | ships | towers | trees | walls
- Associated Places:
- Europe | France | Panthéon | Paris | Quartier de Chaillot | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
etching by Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, A General View of Paris taken from Chaillot, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.