View of the Gate of St. Denis taken from the Suburbs
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 11 7/8 x 22 1/8 inches (30.2 x 56.2 cm), and Image: 9 1/16 x 19 3/16 inches (23 x 48.7 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin."; lower right: "Aquatinted by F. C. Lewis."; lower left: "View of the Gate of St. Denis | taken from the SUBURBS"; lower right: "Vue de la Porte St. Denis | prise du FAUXBOURG"; lower left: "SUBSCR. PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pubd. 1803, by JNO. GIRTIN, No 1 Little Newport Street, Gerard Street, SOHO"; and lower right: "10"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Associated Places:
- Europe | France | Porte Saint-Denis | Saint-Denis | Seine-Saint-Denis | Île-de-France
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of the Gate of St. Denis taken from the Suburbs, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.