View from Palace Terrace at St. Germain en Laye; The Aquaduct of Marli, seen in the distance
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 8 7/8 x 21 1/16 inches (22.5 x 53.5 cm), Image: 5 7/8 x 18 1/8 inches (14.9 x 46 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin"; lower right: "Aquatinted by J. C. Stadler."; lower left: "View from Palace Terrace, at St. Germain en Laye; | The AQUEDUCT of MARLI, seen in the distance."; lower right: "Vue prise de la Terrace du Palais de St. Germain en Laye | L'AQUEDUC de MARLI, vu de loin."; lower left: "SUBSC PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pub. April 4. 1803, by JNO. Girtin, No. 1, Little Newport Street, SOHO."; and lower right: "16"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cityscape
- Associated Places:
- Acqueduct of Louveciennes | Europe | France | Louveciennes | Marly-le-Roi | Saint-Germain-en-Laye | Saint-Germain-en-Laye, Château de | Seine | Yvelines | Île-de-France
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View from Palace Terrace at St. Germain en Laye; The Aquaduct of Marli, seen in the distance, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.