On the Banks of the Marne below the Bridge at Charenton
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 7 7/8 x 10 3/4 inches (20 x 27.3 cm), and Image: 5 11/16 x 9 5/8 inches (14.4 x 24.4 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin."; lower right: "Aquatinted by I B Harraden"; lower left: "On the Banks of the MARNE below the Bridge | AT CHARENTON"; lower right: "Sur les Bords de la MARNE au dessous du pont | DE CHARENTON."; lower left: "SUBS PRINT."; lower center: "LONDON: Pub. January 1. 1803, by J. Girtin, No.1, Little Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO."; lower right: "19"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bridge (built work) | cityscape | river
- Associated Places:
- Charenton-le-Pont | Europe | France | Marne | Pont de Charenton-le-Pont | Val-de-Marne | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, On the Banks of the Marne below the Bridge at Charenton, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.