Sales by Auction! - or Provident Children Disposing of their Deceased Mother's Effects for the Benefit of the Creditors!!
- Etching with hand-coloring in watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 5/16 x 16 9/16 inches (31.2 x 42 cm), Plate: 9 13/16 x 14 3/8 inches (25 x 36.5 cm), and Image: 8 3/16 x 13 1/8 inches (20.8 x 33.3 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on back, upper left: "4154"; in graphite, upper left: "$15.00"; lower left: "By George Cruikshank, 1819. | Note the miniature Poodle. | Held by the old lady at the | end of the table. A Rare Auction Print. (underlined)"; lower right: "383"
Lettered, lower left: "Yedes invt | C G fect"; lower center: "Sales by Auction! _ or Provident Children disposing of their | deceased Mother's Effects fro teh Benefit of the Creditors!!_"; lower right: "Pub.d May 6th, 1819 by | J Sidebetham No.287 | __Strand____"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- adults | auction | caricature | children | fancy dress | genre subject | hats | humor | illustration | men | satire | shoes | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Joanna Marschner, Enlightened Princesses : Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte, and the Shaping of the Modern World, Yale University Press, New Haven, Conn, 2017, p. 275, fig. 15.10, NX543 +.E55 2017 Oversize (YCBA)
Madeleine Pelling, Lives Laid Bare, Celebrity, Death and the Georgian Auction, https://www.historytoday.com/madeleine-pelling/lives-laid-bare-celebrity-death-and-georgian-auction , History Today, February 27, 2018, Avaliable Online