Mr. B. on the Middle Watch--"Cold blows the wind & rain's coming on's - Plate 3
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 13 15/16 inches (25.5 x 35.4 cm), Plate: 8 7/16 x 11 7/16 inches (21.5 x 29 cm), and Image: 6 1/2 x 9 3/4 inches (16.5 x 24.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper right: "55"; in red pencil, upper right: "55"; on back, in graphite, lower right: "55551/8"
Lettered, upper center: "Mr. B on the Middle Watch ____ 'Cold Blows the Wind & the rain's coming on' "; upper right: "P.3."; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) ___ G. Cruikshank Sculpts"; lower center: "Or sailing on the midnight deep | When weary messmates soundly sleep | The careful watch patroles the deck | To guard the ship from foes or Wreck_ | And whilst his thoughts oft Homeward (double underlined) veer. &cc... all's well"; lower right: "Pub.d by G. Humphrey 27 st Jame's St london -- 1820"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | boy | caricature | cold | deck | genre subject | illustration | marine art | men | midnight | midshipmen | night | patrolling | rain | rope | satire | seamen | ships | walking | watch | wind
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Mr. B. on the Middle Watch--"Cold blows the wind & rain's coming on's - Plate 3, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.