Mr. B seeking the Bubble reputation - Plate 5
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 8 7/16 x 11 7/16 inches (21.5 x 29 cm), Image: 6 13/16 x 9 3/4 inches (17.3 x 24.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper right: "57."; on back, lower right: "55551/8"
Lettered, upper center: "Mr. B _ 'Seeking the Bubble reputation. ____"; upper right: "P.5."; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) _ G Cruikshank sculpt."; lower center, two columns of text, column one:"the pulses maddening play | That thrills the wanderer of the trackless way | That for it self can woo the approaching fight", column two: "And turn what some deem danger to delight | No dread of death, if with us die our foes | Save that it seems een duller than repose. _ Byron _ "; lower right: "Pub.d by G Humphrey 27 St James's St. London 1820"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- attacking | ax | cannons | caricature | clouds | dying | fear | fighting | guns | illustration | marine art | midshipmen | military art | satire | seamen | smoke | spears | swords | war
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Mr. B seeking the Bubble reputation - Plate 5, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.